Comcast aims to revolutionize the Digital TV experience with the Xfinity X1 Platform and X1 remote control app, which is a cloud-enabled platform—the first of its kind in the industry.
“The X1 platform makes the TV smarter, richer and more personalized – and that’s only the beginning. Our goal is to leverage this platform to redefine the entertainment experience for our customers,” said Marcien Jenckes, Senior VP of Video Services for Comcast. “X1 is a giant leap forward, essentially transforming our video product from a hardware experience to a software experience, allowing us to innovate faster and more aggressively.”
The X1 platform uses the latest in IP technology, utilizing Comcast’s cloud servers to provide interactive, customized apps and social media features that will enhance the digital TV viewing experience.
Features of the X1 platform include:
- A main screen with a user-friendly interface that enables single-click access to a visually intuitive menu of entertainment options
- Enhanced search, instant play, and entertainment recommendations—find the shows and movies you want in seconds from TV listings, DVR recordings, and Xfinity On Demand
- Customized apps for TV, including social networking, music, radio, sports, traffic and weather apps
- State of the art hybrid DVR set-top box with advanced personalized TV viewing capabilities
- Remote control with greater responsiveness and range
The Xfinity X1 remote control app complements the X1 platform, enabling digital TV subscribers to their iPhone or iPod Touch as their TV remote control. From an iPhone or iPod Touch, subscribers can:
- Browse through the interactive program guides on their TV screen
- Set up personalized short-cuts and favorites for the TV
- Pause On Demand content playing on TV
- Filter program search by genre and HD
- Program the DVR and enable integration with social media tools and apps
“The X1 remote app unites the TV screen with customers’ mobile devices by creating an integrated experience between the customers’ swipe controls on their device and the viewing experience on the TV – they truly mirror each other,” explained Sree Kotay, Senior VP and Chief Software Architect for Comcast. “By building this new app, we’ve made the remote control smarter and more functional…and just plain fun.”
So far, the launch of the X1 Platform and companion X1 remote app in Boston has been a resounding success. Xfinity Digital TV subscribers are enjoying the enhanced user experience and expedited content access that the X1 platform provides. Comcast should be making the X1 Platform and remote app available in other areas soon, though no time table has been set.